Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Munch Munch

I'd like to think of myself as a foodie. I love food, and I really enjoy eating and the whole gathering, camaraderie and laughter that comes with enjoying good grub.

For me, it's not just about eating for the sake of sustenance. Meals have always been more that. It's always been about the socializing, the company of loved ones and good friends, the merriment and laughter, the tears and heartaches, and the enjoyment of everything that is good about living. Whether its celebrating something with a lavish dinner, gathering and catching up at the mamak, or pouring the heart's deepest feelings out on the table with a cup of coffee/ hot chocolate, food has a powerful influence in my life.

I also like to cook. I'm not a great cook, but I find the act of cooking very fulfiling and satisfying. It allows me to get my creative juices flowing, it's fun, and it has a calming effect. I can happily spend the whole day planning and executing dishes for a dinner set. There's just something very satisfying about using great meat, vegetables, raw ingredients and putting in your best effort to tranform them into delicious, heart-warming food for people.

Not surprisingly, I'm also a huge fan of cooking shows and foodie programs. :)

What I've found out is that cooking is not hard. You don't have to rip your hair out trying to make coq au vin or spend hours roasting bones and bent over the stove boiling down demi glace for that special oven roasted pigeon dish. Nor do you have to toil with hundred of herbs, braising, steaming, frying and baking that 10-course feast fit for chinese emperors.

Any dish, prepared with genuine heart and soul, is a beautiful thing. It is the culmination of all your warmth, respect and care for the person that will be enjoying the meal. It expresses the want of giving the best to that person. That, I feel, is the most important thing. Not the dish. Even a simple fried egg can feel like a giant hug sometimes.

Of course, good food tastes better when shared (eating alone is never fun), and cooking is more fun when ideas are exchanged and tips are discussed.

Hence, I'm setting up this section for my foodie adventures, cooking experiments and recipes. I'm always on the lookout for new places and new cuisine, so hopefully this will lead me to exciting munchies. And if I am able to help just one person cook and eat better along the way, then I'll be very happy. :)

1 comment:

pENguiN~ said...

Wow.. I am excited... Agree with u that eating alone is NEVER FUN... And am looking forward for more posts on your recipes.... the simpler the better yeah... :D